Flourless Chocolate Torte with Raspberry Sauce
By Chef Amanda Cushman, Chapel Hill Cooking Classes
9 Tb. unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
7 large eggs, separated
8 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, melted, cooled
1 bag frozen unsweetened raspberries, defrosted
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
2 Tb. lemon juice or raspberry liqueur
1 cup cold heavy cream, whipped with 3 Tb. confectioners sugar and 2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Heat the oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9-inch spring form pan.
2. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat until fluffy and light. Add yolks, one at a time, beating until combined.
3. Add chocolate and mix only until blended.
4. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
5. Lighten the chocolate with about a third of the whites
fold in the remaining whites.
6. Transfer to the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes, until center is springy to the touch.
7. Meanwhile combine the berries, sugar and lemon juice in a food processor and then strain out the seeds.
8. Cool the cake slightly and then remove the side. Cool completely and serve with whipped cream and or raspberry sauce.